We are big fans of Whidbey Island’s Penn Cove Mussels and it looks like we aren’t the only ones! In March, we get a chance to go mad over mussels.
Penn Cove Musselfest!
March 7 & 8, 2020
Historic Coupeville, WA on Whidbey Island.
This event is brimming with chowder tasting contests located at 12 different dining locations, one of which is our nearby Freeland Cafe. They warn us that tickets sell out by noon, so get there early!
Have you ever wanted to know how the chef makes your favorite mussel dish? On Saturday and Sunday between 10am-3pm, five awesome chefs will be giving cooking demonstrations:
- Chef Robert Spaulding, executive chef at Elliott’s Oyster House on historic Pier 56
- Chef Andreas Wurzrainer, former owner and chef at Christophers Restaurant in Coupeville
- Chef Kyle Campbell of Frasers Gourmet Hideaway in Oak Harbor and Herb Farm in Woodinville
- Chef Michael Weeks of Callen’s Restaurant in Coupeville
- Chef Tori Mann at the helm of Lola, part of the Tom Douglas Group of restaurants
The festivities will continue with Main Street activities including local merchants, non-profits and food vendors. You can buy tickets ($15) for one hour boat ride tours around Penn Cove Shellfish and then return to shore to enjoy the beer garden, kids activities (including fishing off the pier!), music all day, and more.
Island favorite, The Shifty Sailors, will be playing on Saturday:
Thanks to past years’ visitors we can see exactly what to expect:
Mussel Mingle is Friday night, so you can get a head start on the fun. I already ordered my poster.
More info: Penn Cove Mussels Festival