On Holmes Harbor, on Whidbey Island, WA, we have a big 4th of July celebration, but it’s not on the 4th. It’s on the 3rd. This gives us a chance to celebrate in style and then hop to another BBQ or celebration in another town. A sort of double-dipping for 4th of July fans. If you are looking for a small-town, nostalgic celebration for the whole family this is your spot.
Celebrate America hosts a classic American celebration event in Freeland Park complete with food vendors, dunk tank, rides for little ones, and a stage with various musical performances. Past performers include, the wild and crazy Hair Nation, and the Neil Diamond tribute band Cherry Cherry. They get us all rockin’ as the sun sets before we head back to our spots to watch the fireworks show over the harbor. This much-anticipated event is the grand finale of the evening. Everyone settles in on their blankets and beach chairs to be awed by this grand fireworks show fired from a barge right in front of you in the harbor.
The 2018 year line up included:
- 3:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.– Bouncy house and face painting
- 4:00 p.m. – Food vendors are open – from eggrolls to hamburgers and fries, there is food for all tastes
- 4:30p.m. – Roads close and free shuttle service begins from Freeland’s Park ‘n Ride & the Island Transit stop on Main St. in front of Chase Bank
- 6:00 p.m. – Island Dance Performing Team
- 6:25 p.m. – Armstrong ATA Martial Arts Demonstration
- 7:05 p.m. – Dazzling Deceptions Magic Show featuring comedy and circus tricks
- 8:00 p.m. – Mussel Flats
- 9:00 p.m. – Neil Diamond tribute band, Cherry Cherry
- 10:00 p.m. – Patriotic Presentation – National Anthem by Janie Elf
- 10:20 p.m. – Spectacular fireworks show over Holmes Harbor set to patriotic music
When it is the 4th of July week on Holmes Harbor everything is bustling and there are more boats on the water. Boat owners anchor in locations to guarantee an awesome, up close and personal fireworks display. Vacation homes in the area are filled to capacity with family and friends, and the local shops are bustling with all the out of town visitors. The high spirit is palpable as everyone gears up for the festivities. This time of year neighborhoods aren’t quiet and calm.
Many lucky homes in Freeland also have a up close and personal view of this show. They don’t have to reserve their picnic spot early in the day and carry all their gear back to the car at the end. If you are looking for a professional 4th of July style fireworks show displayed right in front of you, while enjoying the nostalgic, small-town festival celebration, you may want to check out the many vacation homes for rent in the area and choose your family vacation on this special week. These folks can just sit back in comfort on their deck next to the grill or sit around their campfire while marshmallows are being toasted for the kids. Well… maybe for the “big” kids, too.
FREELAND PARK – SOUTH WHIDBEY ISLAND
1535 E. Shoreview Avenue, Freeland, WA
Directions: From Highway 525 turn North on Honeymoon Bay Road, then East on Shoreview Drive for ¾ of mile.